Saturday, October 08, 2005

Good Morning, Bright Sun

Well, everything went well last night. It turns out we're in the Four Points Sheraton. It's very nice, at least by improv standards. After settling in, we walked to the Quad City ComedySportz club. It's a good narrow space, seating a few more than 100, I would guess. I don't entirely understand the setup, but changing is done in what appears to be a dinner theatre next door. QCCSz seems to involve a lot of being outside, what with warming up and half time. I kind of like that, though. It makes me miss KC's old space with a courtyard in back.

The show was swell. We played 4 on 4s, with two members of each company on each team. It was weird for me to play as a relatively passive player, being a new feller in an uncomfortable situtation. But, I feel like I made some smart scene moves, and only looked like an idiot once. And it was not at a point that anyone will remember it. I remember meeting Jeff, other Jeff, Tracy, Brad . . . ooh, stupid beer -- my memory is blurry. Apparently half of the QC group is ordained.

After the show, we went to the Blue Cat, a nearby bar and grill. There were probably a dozen of us from both clubs. Tracy (a fellow) had planned to go watch a Tivoed rugby match, but was kind enough to delay his viewing to join us. They had an EXCELLENT pumpin Ale, and I had a yummy reuben. Squeaky, our server, was charming.

Leaving the Blue Cat, we went to the Rock Island Brewing Company (RIBCO). There was a good band playing Grateful Dead covers with Rocky Top thrown in for good measure. The lovely Nikki danced hoo-hah-edly throughout the latter. It was nice to sit and talk seriously with Nikki and Mo for a while, with the wheels of conversation lubed by liquid bread. At Ribco, Pete's friend John was tending bar, and was exactly what a bartender should be -- funny, generous with beer and recommendations, and replete with bar tricks.

We also met Pete's friend Gary, who was quite pleasant, as well as Amanda. I didn't spend much time with Amanda, but she is notable because she reminded both Pete and me of my lovely wife, Tracy -- tall and ebullient.

We wandered in around 2, and got to bed by 3. We got a third room for Corey and Mo, who are sick, and Nikki and I (both married, so therefore trustable) shared a room. I feel sorry for Nikki for having to suffer my snoring. This morning we'll go get some lunch and try to find some sheet music for Mo. Pics to follow . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home